Friday, August 24, 2012

Mexican Strawberry Fried Ice Cream

Mexican Fried Ice Cream....... I have to admit just the name was a complete turn off to me for a long time. First of all I am not a huge fan of ice cream, gasp! I know for those who know me it's a fact that's hard to understand.I have been berated with questions about my aversion to the creamy treat that is the "unofficial" summer time staple.

For me though I just never found it to be as satisfying as a nice "grande"chocolaty hunk of cake. Okay and about the whole " fried " thing....um mm... it just didn't sound right. I imagined a big ball of velvety smooth ice cream drenched and dripping with greasy oil! Ahh, that's a big heaping spoonful of NO GRACIAS!, after a spicy Mexican dinner. 



And what was that brown coating? It looked like coconut, it must be coconut and that's where my assumptions about Mexican Fried Ice Cream stayed until this week. For some reason a previously avoided dessert was suddenly on my mind. I decided to put away my fears and do a little investigation on the truth behind Mexican Fried Ice Cream.




And what I found out is that it wasn't what I thought at all! I was fascinated by a new flavor from Breyer's it was "Strawberry Chocolate Dipped Waffle Cone" it was not the ordinary strawberry, chocolate and vanilla so I figured I'd give it a try,



when rolled in the Mexican canela ( cinnamon) smothered in crushed Corn Flakes, yes Corn Flakes ( turns out there is no coconut in this recipe at all) oops my bad! And dipped in the hot oil for 2 seconds, yes, just 2 eensy, weensy seconds....just long enough to crisp it, not long enough for drenching.


Drizzled with chocolate syrup and dulce de leche what is left after that is something that is ooey, gooey, crisp and cold all at the same time. I'm saddened to say that it took me this long to give this notable and fun dessert a chance. Now that I see how quick and easy these are to make, I'm eager to make them again!


Adapted from The Original Chi Chi's Mexican Restaurant Recipe

Ingredients

1/4 cup granulated sugar

4 teaspoons Mexican Canela or  cinnamon

1/4 cup kellogg's corn flake crumbs

maraschino cherry or a sprinkle of plump strawberries

 a drizzle of chocolate syrup and/or dulce de leche or even sweet agave syrup
 
 
 
Directions

1.Form 1 heaping scoop of your favorite ice cream into a ball.
 
2.Roll the ball of ice cream in the cinnamon sugar mixture until completely coated

3.Roll in corn flake crumbs till coated.
 
4.Place in the freezer to harden. 10 min
 
5.Place the hardened ice cream ball in a fry basket and deep fry for 2 seconds at 350 degrees

fahrenheit.

2 comments:

Katie said...

This looks really good!

chica chocolatina said...

Ohhh....It really was, I was pleasantly surprised ♥

01 09 10